If you have an expired Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs), and you have a US filing obligation for 2018, you should take steps to renew them as soon as possible. The IRS are warning that Tax returns with expired ITINs will face processing delays and affected taxpayers may lose eligibility for key tax benefits until the ITIN is renewed.

An ITIN is used by anyone who has to file a US Tax Return, but is not eligible for a Social Security number.
Following changes in the law enacted in 2015, any ITINs not used on a tax return at least once in the past three years will expire. In addition, all ITINS with the middle digits of 70, 71, 72 or 80 (Example: 9NN-70-NNNN or 9NN-80-NNNN) expired on 31 Dec 2017. ITINs that have middle digits 78 or 79 expired 31 Dec 2016. However, there is still time to renew them.

How to Renew an ITIN

To renew an ITIN, taxpayers must complete a Form W-7 and submit all required documentation. Although a Form W-7 is usually attached to the tax return, a taxpayer is not required to attach a federal tax return to their ITIN renewal application. However, an ITIN Renewal application if you live outside of the USA can take several months to be processed, so act early.

If you have any concerns or question about your ITIN or any other US tax matter, please get in touch either through our contact page or by calling 01934 620011

%d bloggers like this: